Your skin is exposed to harmful UV rays every sunny day, if you use a tanning bed, or even on a cloudy day. Not only can it cause premature aging of your skin (wrinkles, no thank you) , it dramatically increases your risk of getting skin cancer.
Here are our Top 10 tips for preventing Skin Cancer and Hyperpigmentation:
- Don’t skimp on the sunscreen. Generously apply sunscreen to your skin, don’t forget your ears, neck, hands, feet and lips! Make sure your sunscreen is broad spectrum, water resistant and a 30 SPF or greater. Don’t forget to reapply every two hours or after swimming in the beach or pool or after sweating.
- Treat yourself to protective eyewear and clothes! Since we can’t block all of the harmful UV rays, be sure to wear lightweight long sleeve tops and pants. Look for sun shirts and breathable pants and don’t forget the polarized sunglasses.
- Don’t be afraid of shade. The sun is the strongest from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. so be sure to take a break from the sun. Grab an umbrella or a wide brimmed hat to give yourself some shade!
- Say “see ya later” to tanning. Tanning in an indoor bed or outside can lead to wrinkles, age spots, and skin cancer. Even 1 indoor tanning session can increase your risk of skin cancer by 20%. We all want that golden glow, so stick to self tanners or organic spray tans! Women younger than 30 are 6 times more likely to develop melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, if they tan indoors.
- Be careful around water, sand, and even snow. These common environments reflect the sun’s UV rays and can increase your likelihood of getting sunburned!
- Ask our estheticians what you can do to get rid of your Hyperpigmentation. Hyperpigmentation known as sun spots and age spots. Check out all the products and services designed to have you even-toned and spot free!
- Try a Vitamin C Serum, like Obagi Professional-C Vitamin C mask, to reduce fine lines and wrinkles from summer sun. Obagi sold out all Physician’s Plan Weight Loss + Wellness Centers.
- Try our Clear + Brilliant Laser treatments to fight the signs of aging and walk away with radiant, even skin. Clear + Brilliant is a preventative skin treatment that is clinically proven to aid in skin cancer prevention. Ask about our complimentary medspa consultations — your skin will thank you!
- If you see something, speak up! Skin cancer including melanoma is highly treatable when it’s found early.
- Check your skin regularly. Have your significant other, family member or best friend look on your back for the areas you can’t see. If anything is new or seems to have changed in color, shape, or begin to itch or bleed, book an appointment with your local dermatologist. Skin checks are covered by most insurance!
All of these tips will help you prevent skin cancer! Enjoy the summertime sunshine and outdoor activities, but don’t forget sunscreen and shade!