Make the Condiment Swap
Condiments are a fundamental part of joyful eating. Be sure to reach for the right condiment to enhance your food's flavor. What condiments promote health? Happily, a few saucy side flavors add to your healthy diet and wellness plan. Here are a few to put on your radar:
- Vinegar is a tasty way to balance your blood sugar. It is antioxidant-rich and a proven weight-loss helper.
- Mustard is rich in omega-3 oils, Vitamin A, and an amino acid-rich complement to plant-based diets.
- Guacamole, made from avocados, is an excellent source of healthy fats and fiber. Tip: Substitute is for salad dressing or veggie dip.
- Nutritional Yeast is rich in B vitamins, over a dozen minerals, and seventeen vitamins. For vegans, nutritional yeast can add essential nutrients missing from their diet.
- Hummus, derived from chickpea, is a fiber-rich, plant-based protein that contributes to fullness and is a good source of magnesium and folate.
- Coconut Aminos are a savory probiotic-rich condiment made from fermented coconut tree sap and often used as a soy sauce substitute.
- Gomasio or Japanese sesame salt is made from sesame seeds. Full of calcium, magnesium, manganese, and zinc, Japanese sea salt is an excellent source of B vitamins, thiamine, niacin, vitamin B6, and blood-healthy minerals iron and copper.
- Hot Sauce includes a compound called Capsaicin that gives spiciness to chili. Capsaicin decreases inflammation, provides pain relief, and has anti-cancer effects.
- Horseradish is historically used as a condiment and medicine. From treating sinus infections to containing anticancer, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory effects, use this condiment for a pungent healthy boost.
- Raw honey is unpasteurized and minimally processed. It is rich in antioxidants and contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial compounds. Use in moderation.
Condiments high in added sugar and salt should be swapped for one or more of the above options. Be sure to substitute healthy options for high-calorie, highly processed condiments, including:
- Ranch dressing
- Fat-free salad dressing
- BBQ sauce
- Pancake syrup
- Teriyaki sauce
- Artificial sweeteners
- Refined salt
- Soy sauce