2 medium sweet potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
½ tablespoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 ½ cups water
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and drained
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese, divided
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
tortilla chips or whole grain tortillas, for serving
1. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into ½-inch cubes.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, chop the onion. Add the onion to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, quinoa, and black beans. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid, about 15 minutes.
5. Stir to make sure everything is evenly distributed. Remove from the heat and stir in ½ cup of the cheese and ¼ cup of the cilantro. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and cilantro over the top. Serve with tortilla chips or wrap in tortillas, if desired.