Date Night Dessert: Raspberry Molten Lava Cakes
(gluten-free, dairy-free, 100% whole grain, all-purpose flour options)
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yield: 2 cakes
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (113 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips (use dairy-free chocolate chips, if necessary)
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) unsalted butter or coconut oil (use coconut oil for a dairy-free version)
- 3 tablespoons (23 grams) buckwheat flour for a gluten-free version or whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour for a non-GF version
- 3 tablespoons fresh raspberries (about 12-15 small ones), lightly mashed
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and spray two 6-ounce ramekins very well with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, egg, egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave at half power, in 30 second increments, until melted. Stir after every increment.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture and stir just until combined.
- Sprinkle the flour over the batter and fold in. Do not over mix! Your cakes will be tough if you do. Only fold in until no more flour streaks remain. The batter will be quite sticky and almost as thick as brownie batter.
- Scoop a little more than 1/4 of the batter into each of the prepared ramekins.
- Put 1/2 of the mashed raspberries into the center of each cake, taking care to keep it in the center (and not spread out) as much as possible.
- Divide the remaining batter between the two ramekins.
- Bake for 15 minutes. The surface shouldn't be wet. If it is, keep the cakes in for another minute or two until the middle is no longer wet. The toothpick test does not work here.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and cool for 15 minutes in the ramekins.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cakes and flip out onto the serving plates.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave at half power for 10-15 seconds or until warm enough for your liking.
- If you don't need these to be gluten-free, you can use whole wheat or whole spelt instead of buckwheat.