Bring to your next holiday party! If you have ripe bananas lying around, today is the perfect day to make this wonderfully moist banana bread studded with tart ruby cranberries.
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar (not packed)
2 large egg whites
3 ripe medium bananas, lightly mashed
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- In a small saucepan combine the cranberries water and sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until the cranberries burst, about 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, bananas, and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture and blend at low speed until combined, do not over mix.
- Fold in cranberries and pour batter into the prepared loaf pan; sprinkle with turbinado sugar on top and bake in the center rack for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the pan cool at least 25 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.
Yield: 16 servings, Serving Size: 1 slice
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 94
- Total Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 105mg
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 11g
- Protein: 2g