Patriotic Salad with Quinoa & Berries
- 5 ounces salad greens (I used arugula)
- 3 cups cooked, cooled quinoa
- 1.5 cups blueberries
- 1.5 cups raspberries
- Sliced watermelon cut into stars with a cookie cutter (optional)
- favorite salad dressing, served on the side
On the bottom of a medium trifle dish or clear salad bowl, arrange one third of the greens. Top with half the quinoa, all but 1/4 cup blueberries, the remaining quinoa, another third greens, all but 1/4 cup raspberries, and top with the remaining greens. Arrange the remaining 1/2 cup berries over the top. If using watermelon stars, tuck into the sides and arrange on top of the salad. Make this salad up to 5 hours in advance, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Serve dressing on the side.
*Author: Marina from YummyMummykitchen.com
Summer Berry Crostini with Lemon Ricotta + Honey
- 2 demi (petite) multigrain or whole grain french baguettes, cut into about 24 small slices, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat ricotta
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus extra for drizzling
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 cups fresh organic summer berries (strawberries, blueberries, cherries, raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix together ricotta, lemon juice, a tablespoon of honey, and a pinch of salt. Taste; adjust flavors as necessary. You may want more lemon or honey.
- Place crostinis on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with a dash of salt. Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Immediately spread ricotta over warm crostinis and place berries on top. Drizzle with a bit more honey. Serve immediately.
*Author: Monique from AmbitiousKitchen.com
Red White and Blue Watermelon and Blueberry Fruit Salad
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup jicama, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- pinch of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Mix watermelon, jicama and blueberries in a large bowl. Mix the lime juice, honey, chili powder and salt in a small bowl and pour over the watermelon mixture. Add mint and more salt to taste and top with feta cheese crumbles. Chill for 30-60 minutes before serving.
*Author: Heidi from Foodcrush.com
Coconut Water & Fresh Berry Popsicles
*Popsicle molds needed
Servings: 10 popsicles
- 2.5 cups Fresh Berries (I used blueberries, raspberries, and sliced strawberries)
- 40 oz Coconut Water
- Drop berries into popsicle molds (smaller pieces will go to the bottom, others will have to be gently nudged into the mold using a butter knife or extra popsicle stick).
- Pour coconut water over the berries to fill the popsicle mold, then insert popsicle sticks.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
- Allow to sit on counter at room temperature for a few minutes for easy release from the molds.
*Author: Dena from BackToTheBookNutrition.com
Patriotic Layered Smoothie
- 1 frozen Banana
- 1 cup Vanilla Yogurt
- 1/2 cup frozen Cherries
- 1/2 cup frozen Blueberries
- 1 cup Acai Juice
- 1/4 cup Milk of your choice
- 1 1/2 cup Ice
- In a blender, combine 1/4 banana, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup cherries, 1/2 cup acai juice and 1/2 cup ice. Blend until smooth and divide among 3-4 glasses. Be careful to keep sides of glass clean. Place in freezer for 30 minutes to help keep layers separate. This will give you your bottom red layer.
- In a blender, combine 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup ice. This will create your creamy white layer. Blend until smooth and divide among the glasses. Be careful to keep sides of glass clean. Place in freezer for 30 minutes to help keep layers separate.
- In a blender, combine 1/4 banana, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup acai juice and 1/2 cup ice. Blend until smooth and divide among 3-4 glasses. Be careful to keep sides of glass clean.
- Place in freezer until ready to serve to help keep layers separate. Enjoy!
*Author: Janel from AMomsTake.com