This football friendly chili is hearty, satisfying, veggie-packed, and will leave you feeling full for hours.
Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free.
Yield: 4 bowls
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 30 Minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (280 g) diced sweet onion (about 1 medium/large)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 4 large cloves)
- 2 medium jalapeños (80 g), seeded (if desired) and finely chopped
- 1 cup (115 g) finely chopped celery (about 2 large stalks)*
- 1 red pepper (seeded + diced) OR (my favorite) about ½-1 cup fire roasted red pepper, diced (from a jar—I buy mine from whole foods)
- 1 (28-oz/796 mL) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 cup (250 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) tomato paste
- 1 (15-oz/398 mL) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz/398 mL) can pinto or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- Sour Cream
- Chopped green onions
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, or sliced avocado
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and the garlic in the oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and stir.
- Add the jalapeños, celery, and bell pepper and sauté for another 5 to 7 minutes or so, until softened.
- Now add the can of diced tomatoes (with the juice), broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt. Simmer the mixture, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cayenne and hot sauce to taste, if using. Taste and season with additional salt if desired.
- Serve with toppings as desired.
- * I recommend finely chopping the celery so it cooks faster.
- * Try swapping the raw red pepper for jarred roasted red pepper. It makes the flavour simply out of this world!