Warm Quinoa, Sweet Potato and Kale Salad
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 (or 3 with large portions)
Serving Size: 1/4th
Cal: 335 - Protein: 9g - Fat: 8.4g - Carbs: 57g - Fiber: 5.5g - Sugar: 13g
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium/large sweet potato, peeled, chopped
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
3 packed cups kale, stems removed, chopped
3 cups cooked quinoa or 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup fresh pomegranate arils
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from about 1-2 oranges)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
freshly cracked pepper
- If you don't have cooked quinoa, start with that. Place quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly with cool water for at least 2 minutes. Drain. Rinsing quinoa before cooking will remove its natural bitter or soapy taste. Transfer to a saucepan, cover with stock, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes on the lowest setting. Turn off the heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside. (This will make a little bit more cooked quinoa than what you will need for the salad).
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add sweet potatoes and paprika. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Stir to cover the sweet potatoes with the spice. Cook on medium heat until brown on the outside and soft on the inside, about 10 minutes. When they are almost ready, stir in maple syrup and finish cooking.
- Add kale and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of cooked quinoa, stir and cook until warm.
- Turn off the heat and add onion and pomegranate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice and olive oil. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Drizzle over warm salad, toss and serve immediately.
If making this salad ahead, add the dressing at the last minute. Quinoa will soak up all the moisture.