Balsamic Chicken Salad with Lemon Quinoa
Crisp and juicy pan fried chicken in balsamic, garlic and olive oil, mixed into an incredible loaded salad with Kalamata olives, Feta, Lemon flavored Quinoa and sweet grape tomatoes.
½ cup dry quinoa
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock (or water mixed with 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder)
Pinch of salt to season
Juice of ½ a lemon
- 6 boneless chicken thigh or breast fillets, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon garlic (or plain) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder/granules or 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 cups (200g | 7oz) cos lettuce, washed and shredded
- 200g | 7oz grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 100g | 3.5oz pitted kalamata olives
- 50g | 1.7oz reduced fat Feta cheese
- ½ cup continental parsley
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
For Lemon Quinoa:
- In a small saucepan, combine quinoa, stock and salt together. Bring to the boil; reduce heat to gentle simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes or until broth has absorbed and quinoa is soft. Remove from heat and set aside while still covered and allow to steam. After about 2 minutes, fluff with a fork. Allow to cool slightly and add the lemon juice.
- Add the chicken fillets in a large skillet or nonstick pan with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, stock powder and garlic powder/granules. Saute the chicken until nice, crispy and golden on both sides, and cooked through. Remove from heat; allow to cool slightly, and slice into 1-inch strips.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl/jug, and whisk until mixed through.
- Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, olives, Feta and parsley together in a large salad bowl. Top with chicken slices and quinoa, and drizzle with the dressing. Toss to combine. Serve with lemon wedges.